This slow cooker vegetable beef soup/ stew recipe is from my faithful red plaid Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. If you don’t have one, get one! It’s a staple for all the basics in cooking!!
Vegetable Beef Soup [Slow Cooker/ Crockpot]
- 1 lb boneless beef chuck pot roast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 4 C. water
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 C frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 c frozen diced hash brown potatoes OR 2 medium potatoes peeled and chopped. I prefer the real deal.
- 1 1-ounce packet of onion soup mix. (1/2 of a 2 ounce package) – haha that’s straight from the cookbook; this cookbook is perfect for beginners!
- 1 tsp instant beef bouillon granules
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper – I just sprinkle some in.
- 1 clove minced garlic – I keep a large jar in the fridge on hand. #notimeforpeelingandchoppinggarlic
Brown meat pieces in hot oil in a large skillet. (Don’t need to cook all the way through.) Drain the fat. Place meat and remaining ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover & cook on low heat setting for 8-10 hours, or high for 4-5 hours.
Note: I brown the meat & chop the veggies the night before if I only have 5 minutes in the morning to make dinner.